Saturday, August 14, 2010

5 Salads in 5 Days: Cucumber and Avocado Salad

I am so glad to end this week of salads on a high note! After yesterday's salad disaster, I decided to treat myself to a (pretty) sure success. It has avocado in it, how can it be bad? The simplicity of this salad is deceiving. I whipped it together at work in just a couple of minutes, but what resulted was truly a restaurant quality meal. I quickly gobbled up the entire portion in this photo and was left wishing I had an entire other bowl. I absolutely cannot wait for J to get home so I can make this as a side dish for vegan sushi rolls or thai spring rolls or basically any other light, fresh asian dish.

I literally cannot wait to share this with all of you because it is sooooo good!

Cucumber and Avocado Salad:
1/2 ripe avocado, cubed
1/2 english cucumber, cubed
1tsp. honey
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp rice wine vinegar

Toss and enjoy! My lovely friend at the New York Times (Mark Bittman I feel like I know you...) included this salad as #21 and suggested serving it with a little cold rice and calling it a california roll salad. I didn't do the rice thing, although I have no doubt that it would be good, but even so people, this dish really does taste like a california roll to me. Or at the very least a cucumber avocado roll which is one of my favorites in the world. It must just be flavor association, but it was a remarkable sensation.

I hope you enjoyed 5 salads in 5 days and that I was able to give you at least a couple of ideas for new and unusual salads that are delicious and healthy and vegan!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This salad is AMAZING! So creamy and delicious. I was a bit skeptical of the honey, soy sauce and vinegar, but it was totally the right combination of flavors. I can hardly wait to make it again tomorrow, and I even made some rice tonight (white and wild) to put it over tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I tried this today with rice, and didn't like the combination. I feel this salad is too smooth and delicious on its own to be combined with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for trying that and posting Linda! I made it again and left out the rice too.

    ReplyDelete