Wednesday, August 11, 2010

5 Salads in 5 Days: Broccoli and Apple Salad

Ok so I lied. I'm not going to do all 5 salads from the New York Times article. I will make more unusual salads this week from the Times article, I promise! But today it was really really cold and I wanted something a little more comforting than the slaw I was planning to make. I patterned this recipe after a salad I've loved for years. The way I used to make it (and they serve this at the Whole Foods salad bar as well) was with raw broccoli, red onions, raisins, bacon, mayonnaise and cashews. I decided to vegan-ize it and make it a little healthier. Welcome to 5 Salads in 5 Days Day 2! Broccoli and Apple Salad.

2-3 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets
1 apple, cut into bite size pieces
2 Tbsp. raisins
1 Tbsp. red onion, diced
1-2 Tbsp. Veganaise or other vegan mayo
black pepper to taste

Mix everything together thoroughly and eat immediately. This was the perfect salad for today. It was creamy and filling and comforting. I didn't miss the bacon or the nuts at all, in fact I prefer it this way. Try it at home, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment