Monday, April 25, 2011

5-Minute Blueberry Pancakes

Breakfast again! I figure that after posting my all time favorite savory breakfast recipe a few weeks ago, it's a good time to complete the circle and post my all time favorite sweet breakfast recipe. While this recipe may not boast the variety of healthy vegetables present in tofu scramble, it does hold up pretty well as a not only delicious, but remarkably heathy breakfast option. That and it takes 5 minutes to make. Seriously, 5 minutes. I promise!

I make these pancakes with whole wheat flour, mostly because for some reason, in this dish you really can't tell that they are whole wheat, so why not? There are 8 ingredients. Mix together the dry ones first:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt

Once these are blended up, add the wet ingredients:
1 cup soymilk (vanilla, original or unsweetened, I've done them all)
2 Tbsp. canola oil

Mix well to combine then stir in 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries. Cook pancakes in a medium-hot griddle sprayed with nonstick spray. I like to sprinkle each side with a bit of cinnamon for extra flavor.

This recipe is fairly small and makes about 6 large or 8 small pancakes (perfect for two very hungry people). The baking powder allows them to rise very nicely and creates a thick, fluffy pancake. The sweet and tangy flavor of the blueberries gives the pancakes a sweet, rich flavor with only 1 Tbsp. of added sugar. Even I, a self-proclaimed condiment addict, don't have to use that much syrup on these pancakes. The flavors stand on their own and the moisture of the blueberries goes a long way.

So the next time you want an extra special breakfast, or a leisurely brunch, or the perfect item to whip up in no time for house guests, try these blueberry pancakes. I promise you won't be disappointed.

P.S. I feel that I say this quite often, but this is another recipe J and I like to take camping. In fact, I don't think we have ever had a camping trip that did not include these pancakes. I mix up the dry ingredients in a ziplock and pack the oil and soymilk in little plastic jars. In that case, we use dried blueberries rather than fresh and they work quite well. Nothing like a hot breakfast after a night of sleeping in a tent!

2 comments:

  1. These look good, and I just happen to have some frozen blueberries!
    If only I was good at flipping pancakes..
    When you camp, did you cook your pancakes over the campfire or on a camping stove?? Last time I went camping, I had campfire pancakes for the first time and they were GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have both...often a fire (with a small grill over it) but also a tiny little portable stove for an emergency...like when it rains. The trick over the camp fire is to not let the pan get too hot and to burn the pancakes. Those ones are never pretty, but after a night in the great outdoors, no one much cares about that!

    ReplyDelete